Grow a Beautiful Kitchen Garden in Your Backyard
Growing your own fruits, vegetables, and herbs at home is a great way to spend time with your family, soak up the sunshine, and produce your own food.
And learning what to plant in a garden and how to tend them for the best harvest is easier than you think.
Read on for our best tips on growing a beautiful and successful kitchen garden.
PREPPING YOUR GARDEN SITE
Unless you have existing plant beds, you’ll need to decide where to establish your kitchen garden.
While it may seem best to put your garden as close to your house as possible, the best location for a new garden is where it will receive optimal sunlight and soil drainage.
CHOOSING YOUR PRODUCE
Growing your own produce is exciting, but it’s important not to get too carried away, otherwise you’ll end up with too many fruits and vegetables than you can handle.
Consider how many fruits, vegetables, and herbs your family will actually consume.
And keep in mind that certain plants continuously provide all season-long, while others only produce once.
Best Plants For A Kitchen Garden
MAKE IT FUNCTIONAL, MAKE IT BEAUTIFUL
Just because your kitchen garden is functional, does not mean it can’t be a design feature as well.
At Cedargate Landscaping, we take pride in making the mundane beautiful and turning functional spaces into aesthetically pleasing works of art.
- Plant in blocks of colour – Instead of separating decorative plants from edible plants, why not mix them together to create a beautiful edible oasis? Mixing colours and textures creates a stunning ornamental garden that will add depth to your landscape.
- Build decorative boundaries – Think about building gardens up in planters, or creating beautiful stone walkways that weave throughout your fruit and vegetable plots.
- Create primped planter edges – Edging is a great way to add a more polished and complete look and feel to kitchen gardens. Whether you use brick, stone, wood, or metal, adding planter edges will complement your entire landscaping design.
GARDEN CARE & MAINTENANCE
After you’ve planted your fruits, vegetables, and herbs, it’s time to make sure they grow and thrive.
- Mulch – Any organic matter available to you will work. Grass clippings, shredded leaves, straw, etc. Mulch is essential to a healthy garden because is deters weeds, retains moisture, and adds organic matter to the soil as it decays.
- Water – Keep in mind that fruits and vegetables are primarily water, so it’s important you make sure they’re getting enough water.
- Harvest – Some plants are ready before others, and depending on your climate or region, they may produce faster or slower. It’s best to keep an eye on them!
LET’S GROW SOMETHING TOGETHER
Turn heads with a one of a kind edible garden design by the most creative and experienced landscapers.
We have been giving our clients the absolute best in custom landscaping design, personalized service, and leading an organic, outdoor lifestyle for over 25 years – and we are excited to do the same for you.
Contact us today to get started on transforming your outdoor space into something that is truly magical and functional.